Thursday, November 6, 2008

Proud to Be An American

This is my last "soap-box" entry...now we can go back to having fun!

I think just about everyone who knows me, knows which side of the fence I am politically. I was raised by very active, small-business owning Republican parents. I went to a very conservative University and I haven't much strayed from my conservative roots. And most know that I still am very passionate about politics and about our duty to vote...so much so that when Louis and I were dating and I found out he wasn't even registered to vote, I threatened to break up with him. (I am now proud to say that he hasn't missed voting in an election since.) And I strongly believe it's important to teach our kids about what a privilege it is to exercise our right to vote, and educate them on the process. I think I had two of the most informed students at school regarding the election. Both teachers commented that my girls knew all about the candidates when they brought up the subject in school.

So with that being said...I also feel that no matter who I voted for, it is my patriotic duty to support the President of the United States. I did feel a little bit of sadness for John McCain as he gave his succession speech. I kept an open mind as I watched Barak Obama give his acceptance speech and at the end of the night, the feeling I was feeling the most wasn't anger or disappointment that my candidate didn't get elected, what I felt the most was pride. Pride that I get to raise my children in such a great county where we have the right to vote and choose our leaders and have so many freedoms. And pride that I was lucky enough to witness history in the making. I really do love America!

So even though I may have some differences with Barak Obama, I will support him and give him respect as the President. Sadly though I am not sure that if the outcome were different, John McCain (and specifically Sarah Palin) would have generated that same respect from certain people. The last 8 years of hateful words and bashing of President Bush has really gotten outrageous. And even the last few months with the strong negative reaction to Governor Palin...I actually had someone say to me "I hate her" I think that is a little strong for someone they have never even met. It's ok to have disagreements, that's what is so great about America, that we have our freedom of speech, but it is really disappointing how extreme and how hateful some people have made it. I do hope that Barak Obama can deliver on all the changes he promised. I mean, who doesn't want a better America, right? :-)

1 comment:

  1. hey cuz , its been a long time. Looks like all is well. we have a blog for you to check out to keep up with us too. check it out and stay in touch , ricky

    ReplyDelete