skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Twenty Miles in Four Days...
One of the best things about Flagstaff is the endless amount of hiking trails. I've heard that there are literally thousands of miles of trails throughout Flagstaff and surrounding areas. We have our favorites that we stick to like Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Devil's Bridge, but this summer I wanted to explore a few new trails. This week, I was a hiking maniac. The girls were in camp during the day at Second Chance Animal Shelter, so while they were gone, we went exploring. In four days I hiked 20 miles! Not bad if I do say so myself. The longest (and most difficult) hike we went on was to Lockett Meadow. Louis had never been there to see the beautiful aspen groves, and the road has been closed since the fire last year, so we decided to just hike there. It was basically four miles up and four miles back. Our car was parked at 7,000 feet elevation and our destination was 9,000, so it was a pretty steady incline the entire first four miles. I really didn't want to seem whimpy to Louis, so I was a little nervous about it. He goes on these days-long backpacking trips with a group of guys from work, so I knew he wouldn't have any problems. In fact, last summer he went on a 16-day back-pack trip through Wyoming. They hiked 150 miles in 16 days and lived out of their backpacks. Personally I think that's a little crazy, but whatever... :) - I'm glad to say that I did just fine, and I actually loved every minute of it. I can't wait to do it again.
 |
| Only about a mile or so into the hike. You can't tell, but if you look really close, you can see our car WAY down there. |
 |
| Since the big fire last year they have had a lot of problems with flooding, which is why the road has been closed. Here you can see where the water cut through the side of the mountain. These trees won't be standing for long. |
 |
| Enjoying the view |
 |
Almost there. Just up and over that mountain. Don't you just love the pink backpack? That's what happens when you live with all girls. :) |
 |
Although it was still beautiful, it was sad to see all the burned trees from the fire. Here is literally just the burned skin of a tree. I'm surprised it was still standing. |
 |
| The field right below Lockett Meadow. |
 |
Here we are at the top in the beautiful aspens. We packed a lunch and enjoyed a little picnic here.
|
 |
| What a great day! |
Looks like a great day!
ReplyDelete