Sunday, April 20, 2008

Welcome Home Penelope


Well, we have now ventured into the world of dog-ownership. We picked up our precious little Penelope yesterday and she is the cutest thing in the world. She is Emma's early birthday present. And she deserves it! She has always been our little animal lover, but the road to a puppy began in December while we are vacation at the log. Right near my parents house is a huge animal shelter called "Second Chance." We found out that you can come whenever you want to play with the animals. They have a huge room where the cats roam and a special puppy and kitten areas...and they have little pet classes for kids to teach them all about animals, how to care for them, etc. Emma was old enough so she went to the "kids camp" and she LOVED it. She talked about nothing else for days. So that's when she really started to ask for a puppy. So I told her in January that if she earned 200 responsibility bucks (those are little reward bucks the girls earn for doing chores, and other good things around the house that they can trade in for their allowance or a prize) I would consider getting her a puppy. Never in a million years did I think she would actually earn that many, but for months now she has been a girl on a mission. She has been so good and she has stuck to it. Many times there were things she wanted and I told her she could trade in her bucks to get them, but she didn't want to. She really showed she had patience and determination. I have been really proud of her. So the last month or so I started doing research on puppies and I found the perfect little girl beagle. She is 9 weeks old and Emma named her Penelope (Pennie for short) and it fits her perfectly. And it was so cute seeing Emma last night when we got her. She kept saying things like "This is the best day of my life", "Mom, it was love at first sight", and "I think I am in heaven." She is just so sweet with her. And I don't think we could have picked a more sweet little puppy. She has the sweetest disposition, and the best thing is, is that she slept all night with Emma...not a peep (or a poop) out of her. She did however go #2 in the house this morning (luckily we have a lot of tile and it was easy to clean up), so we are going to have to work on the potty training thing. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. What a cute puppy! We are so jealous! Can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute puppy. My girls want a dog so bad. I'm not sure we are ready. I feel like having a dog is like bringing another child into the house. Although Greg thinks maybe we should get a puppy instead of a
    4th child. I told him it's not actually the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has been a lot of work, but I have to admit that Grace has been more trouble than Penelope has. Grace just won't leave her alone. It's only been 48 hours, but so far it's been not too bad. Fun actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gives me hope. Good luck with Grace and Penelope. I think if we get a dog we are going to get a Cavalier. I think those dogs are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is SO cute. I can't wait to meet her. If Grace is anything like Shelby, she'll settle down with time. Shelby hassled Bruno for the first week we had him and now she's fine .. in fact, she's really great with him.

    ReplyDelete